Line

Line
   "I write because I do not know what I think until I read what I say."                                                             -Flannery O' Connor

Line2

Line2

Monday, September 21, 2015

Tea Time With the Loveliest People || September Diary

Hi-yo Everyone!

You may notice in the following pictures that I received a haircut (finally)! I got one of those lobs. For those of you unfamiliar with cosmetology terminology, a “lob” is a portmanteau of “long bob”. I love it, but the back is a little shorter than I would like. I have a really big problem asking the hair stylist to cut my hair the exact way I want… it’ll do though. Anyway, this post isn’t about my hair but this past Friday!

I’m now back in Sunny California after my long summer vacation.

During my stay in Massachusetts I’ve been to Boston over [insert large number] times doing various activities: from getting lost in the streets, duck tours, and tea parties (not throwing tea in the harbor though).
  
Since this past Friday was my last day on the East coast, my bestie Linda and I decided to spend the day together. There is a restaurant in the Boston Public Library called The Courtyard. In the afternoon they offer Tea time (High Tea/Afternoon Tea) for an expensive price of $35.00. I was extremely hesitant on going because of the price, but because it was my last day and I’ve always wanted to have Afternoon Tea, “why not??”. On the other hand my wallet was crying the song of tears as we decided to go.

We got there around 2:30 pm and let me tell you this restaurant is so posh and fancy, I felt the need to grow an intense mustache, grab a top hat, put on my best tuxedo, and monocle.

Needless to say, the Courtyard restaurant was indeed next to the inner courtyard; it was so beautiful.

As we came in the waiter sat us down and gave us menus that were, drum roll please…. BOOKS. So of course, because I'm a bibliophile, I took about 45249805942084 pictures of them only to have none of the pictures satisfactory. The menu was already set with fancy culinary terminology that I had to continuously search online. What does “pate a choux” mean or what exactly is "espelette pepper"? I don’t know, but thankfully Google does. 

All we chose was the type of tea we wanted, and of course Earl Grey for me (in honor of Captain Picard).

As Linda and I were eating and chatting along, an older couple was sat next to us. For some reason, we got to the topic of alcohol. I’m not a drinker, never was, I don’t fancy the taste of alcohol, nor do I understand why it’s so ridiculously expensive in the first place. I’d honestly prefer to have a box of chocolate milk.

On the topic of our distaste for alcohol, the couple next to us interjected and just wanted to praise us for choosing not to drink alcohol. From that all four of us began a long lovely chat for about an hour and a half. We all introduced ourselves and we spoke about many topics. We touched upon their professions, how our parents came to the U.S., our interests, etc. In all honestly, they were the loveliest and kindest couple that I had the grace to encounter. Their names were John and Christina and they were visiting from the far away state of Utah. They were so cute it made my heart grow three times larger with happiness and glee. The conversation was filled with plenty of laughs, history, etc. I’m so surprised I even had the ability to speak given my social awkwardness and anxiety.

It was now around 4:20. Once Linda and I were done eating we asked the waiter for our check. As the check came the couple interjected and told the waiter,

“No, no, no, We are going to pay for their meal.”

Linda and I looked at each other in shock and disbelief. We insisted that they shouldn't pay because we had only just met them, and we could pay ourselves. I attempted to stare down the waiter to give us the check, however the John and Christina persuaded the waiter else wise. 

You should have seen our faces, I was in complete shock. Apparently, so was the waiter and every table that surrounded us.

We couldn’t stop thanking them for their tremendous generosity and the lovely conversation we had with them. 

They told us that this was honestly the highlight of their day and they were so happy to pay for our meal. Wow, how amazing is that? Mutually, I would say it was the highlight of both of our days.


The lovely John and Christina. 

After tea at the library, Linda and I went to explore Newbury Street. I have to say, Linda is pretty clumsy (she agrees) and I’m also extremely clumsy and awks. So, the both of us combined walking the streets of Boston you can say would be a complete disaster.

If I could collectively count the times we dropped, tripped, stumbled during the day, that number is [insert another large number here].

I could go on and on about the adventures we had at the shops, rose gelato cones, intense searches for a restaurant that wasn’t filled in China Town,  our ten minute dinner, and all that happened in between, but I’ll spare you your reading eyes (sorry). 

Overall, I’d have to say the day was absolutely wonderful. You can see some photos below! Apologies, I'm really not the best at taking photos...

Cheers!
Po




 The courtyard right next to the Restaurant.

 Posh Menu


 Afternoon Tea set.

 Finger Sandwiches



 Just Desserts

 Scones <3

 Linda my Bestie~

 Err Is this how you smile?

 Newbury Street

Work that pose! 

Thank you Linda for the mug! I <3 it. We got matching ones.

Rose looking cones 

No comments:

Post a Comment