Line

Line
   "I write because I do not know what I think until I read what I say."                                                             -Flannery O' Connor

Line2

Line2

Sunday, October 11, 2015

What Not to Do at the DMV || October Diary

Hi-yo Everyone!

So do I keep right, stop, what?

Don't stone me for this but... I can't drive. I don't mean "I'm just a bad driver" (well, that is true), but what I mean is that I don't have my license... yet. I KNOW, I KNOW,  I know what you're all thinking, but Paulina, aren't you already 22? Isn't your insurance going to cost more in the future?? WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING ALL THIS TIME?!?! DON'T YOU WANT FREEDOM???? Believe me I have heard it all; my non-licensed self was a constant topic in every single car ride when I was in Boston. The thing is, I got my permit later in my senior year of high school and never had the time to actually... drive. If I did drive it wasn't that much and I was quite terrified. And so, as I bounced off to college my permit expired and I was in for a long ride of forever being a passenger.

Whilst in college I couldn't really do much, my friends generally drove, and I didn't have any other opportunity to continue learning, so that was basically it.

Since time is passing quickly I decided to take the permit test again so I can finally be on the road to obtain my license (literally).

This past Friday I went to the DMV and of course it was a mistake laden experience. To keep things short here's my list of WHAT NOT TO DO AT THE DMV (that I obviously ended up doing).

1. WAIT IN THE INCORRECT LINE
I made an appointment before I went to the DMV, but didn't realize that there would be separate lines. So I waited in the horrendously long "non-appointment" line for 15 minutes before realizing there was another line specifically for appointments. I had to awkwardly nudge my way out.

2. KNOCK PEOPLE OVER WITH YOUR PURSE
I have an affinity for insanely large purses. I like to bring a lot of material and knick knacks with me (you never know when you'll need a phillips head screwdriver am I right?). However, this one bag I have goes above and beyond large. Since there were so many people waltzing around it was difficult not to have my bag occasionally getting too intimate with others or just knocking them over. Apologies to this one child I accidentally hit in the shoulder!!

3. PANIC WHEN TAKING THE TEST
You're probably chuckling at this point because everyone and their mother has their permit by now. Or not chuckling, just blowing more air out of your nose than usual. They have the option of taking the test on the computer instead of paper which I opted for. A big mistake on my part. I don't think I read the instructions well, I didn't. I think you could skip questions, but I wasn't sure if that meant skip without answering, or meaning you could go back. Most of the questions had to be answered on the spot (aka how can I double check?). I was looking around so much in a fret I misread many questions, and the guy overlooking everyone had to remind me to stay focused. Which brings me to my next point...

4. FAIL THE TEST
So... because I was unprepared and misread everything left and right, I inevitably ended up failing the test. Sadly, when you fail the online test, the test sort of just ends and I was just standing there wondering what I should do next.

Anyway, I failed the test but thankfully I was able to take the test again right after. When I say right after what I mean is after waiting another forty minutes. The second time I requested to take the paper test so I could actually review my answers instead of being under pressure via computer. AND I FAILED AGAIN, just kidding I passed this time with flying colors (Paulina, it's just a permit test).

These coming weeks I'll be out and about driving on the road, so watch out world! If you're not concerned you should be, because I am.

Cheers,
Po

No comments:

Post a Comment